Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why Obama Trivializing the Ban on Late Term Abortions is Problematic - and Arrogant

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama recently clarified his position on late term abortion to the publisher of Relevant magazine:
"...I have repeatedly said that I think it's entirely appropriate for states to restrict or even prohibit late-term abortions as long as there is a strict, well-defined exception for the health of the mother. Now, I don't think that "mental distress" qualifies as the health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems to the mother carrying that child to term. Otherwise, as long as there is such a medical exception in place, I think we can prohibit late-term abortions."

Did that sound okay to you? It probably would to most people. But here is one of the best cases I've ever heard for not marginalizing "mental distress", and requiring and "immediate" risk to the mother's health, for exceptions to the late term abortion ban.

No comments: